Every year, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) releases data about the plastic surgery trends from the previous year. The organization recently released their statistics for the 2014 year, and the total number of cosmetic procedures performed rose by 3% compared with 2013. But if we take a deeper look at the data, some interesting trends arise.
Buttock augmentation is surging in popularity. Each of the three most popular buttock augmentation techniques were performed significantly more often than in 2013:
- Buttock augmentation with fat grafting -- 11,505 procedures (up 15%)
- Buttock lift -- 3,500 procedures (up 44%)
- Buttock implants -- 1,800 procedures (up 98%)
Male plastic surgery procedures continue to increase in popularity as well. The two most popular male procedures were associated with improvements to the chest region:
- Pectoral implants -- 1,504 procedures
- Male breast reduction to treat gynecomastia -- 26,000 procedures
Minimally invasive nonsurgical procedures continue to comprise an ever-growing share of the total cosmetic procedure market. There were 15.6 million minimally invasive procedures performed in 2014. The most popular were:
- BOTOX® Cosmetic -- 6.7 million procedures
- Dermal fillers -- 2.3 million procedures
- Chemical peels -- 1.2 million procedures
- Laser hair removal -- 1.1 million procedures
- Microdermabrasion -- 882,000 procedures
Interestingly, many of the most popular plastic surgery procedures saw their numbers decline slightly in 2014. Only liposuction experienced an increase (up 5% from 2013). Popular procedures that were performed less frequently in 2014 include:
- Breast augmentation (down 1%)
- Rhinoplasty (down 2%)
- Eyelid surgery (down 4%)
- Facelift (down 4%)
As the economy continues to rebound, it's likely that 2015 will continue this upward trend in the popularity of plastic surgery procedures. Dr. Roberta Gartside is a board certified plastic surgeon offering a wide range of surgical and nonsurgical procedures to patients in the Washington DC area. You can discuss your goals and options with her during a confidential consultation.
Please contact New Image Plastic Surgery Associates using the form at the left side of the page or call 703-742-8004 today to schedule a consultation. Dr. Gartside serves patients in Washington DC and throughout the surrounding areas of Reston, Fairfax, and McLean, Virginia.