Deciding to undergo breast augmentation surgery is in itself a big decision but that’s not the only choice you’ll need to make. There are many important choices that will need to be made to get the results you desire. Fortunately, at New Image Plastic Surgery, our board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Roberta Gartside has extensive experience with this plastic surgery procedure and can aid you through each selection so that you’re comfortable and confident you’ll look and feel great.
Breast augmentation is not just about having larger breasts. While that may be a reason for some women to have this procedure, there are many other reasons women choose to augment their breasts. Whether you wish to correct asymmetrical breasts, restore lost volume after pregnancy or weight loss, or improve the shape of your breasts, this procedure can help rejuvenate your appearance and improve your self-esteem.
No matter why you decide to have the surgery, there are many choices needed to produce the right look and feel you want in your results. One of the most important is choosing which type of breast implant for your augmentation. At our office, we offer multiple implant options, including:
- Saline: These implants are filled with a saline solution that is similar to natural fluids in the body, making it harmless if a rupture occurs. Saline implants require a smaller incision, as they are filled after they’re placed in the breast. These are FDA-approved for women 18 and older.
- Silicone: Often the most popular, these are filled with a silicone gel that offers a more natural look and feel compared to saline implants. Silicone implants require a larger incision which may increase recovery time. These are FDA-approved for women 22 and older.
- Gummy bear: These form-stable implants use a silicone gel as well and are shaped to match the look of natural breasts. Because of their design, these implants do not leak or deflate if ruptured.
- Fat grafting: This unique method uses liposuction to remove fat from other areas of your body which is then placed in your breasts. This not only provides a natural look and feel to your breasts but also removes fat from unwanted areas as well.
On top of deciding which implants best fit your breast augmentation goals, there are a couple of other important decisions needed, which Dr. Gartside can help you make. These choices will help customize your procedure to fit your cosmetic needs.
The next choice you’ll need to make involves the type of incision you prefer for your augmentation. Options include:
- Periareolar: Incision is around the areola
- Inframammary: Incision is under the breast
- Transaxillary: Incision is in the armpit
The next decision involves the actual placement of the implant in your breast. The options we offer include:
- Subglandular: Below the breast tissue but above chest muscles
- Submuscular: Below both breast tissue and chest muscles
For both the incision and placement options, Dr. Gartside can help you decide by explaining the benefits of each option and determining which one fits best with your cosmetic goals. You won’t have to worry about making these important decisions alone as Dr. Gartside and her entire staff is here to help you with any and all questions and concerns so that you can feel great knowing your augmentation will have the results you desire.
If you’d like to learn more about breast augmentation, please contact us by filling out the form on this page or by calling us at 703-742-8004 to schedule your consultation. We proudly provide services to those who live in Reston, Fairfax, Mclean and other nearby areas of Virginia and Washington, D.C.