Board-certified McLean plastic surgeon Dr. Roberta Gartside offers a range of breast implant options, enabling her to customize your procedure to meet your specific needs. During your initial breast augmentation consultation, Dr. Garside will carefully listen to your desires before conducting a thorough examination of your natural curves to help you choose which options best meet your needs.
If you are considering breast augmentation in McLean, Reston, or surrounding parts of Virginia, please contact New Image Plastic Surgery Associates online or by calling (888) 730-4113 to schedule your initial consultation today. Dr. Gartside welcomes women from all areas of Virginia and Washington DC.
Types of Breast Implants
Dr. Gartside offers two different types of breast implants. During your initial consultation she will help you determine which one is best for your needs. Options available are:
- Saline breast implants – filled after they are placed, saline breast implants allow for smaller incisions which may decrease recovery time. However, because saline solution has the consistency of water, these implants may feel and look less like natural breast tissue than silicone alternatives. These issues – along with potential aesthetic imperfections such as rippling and wrinkling – are decreased when saline implants are placed below the muscles in the chest.
- Silicone breast implants – pre-filled with silicone gel, these implants require a larger incision than saline alternatives which may increase recovery time. However, silicone implants tend to look and feel more like natural breast tissue, even when placed above the muscles of the chest. Silicone breast implants are also less likely to produce aesthetic imperfections such as double bubble or surface wrinkling, making them a better option for some of our patients.
During your initial consultation, our female plastic surgeon will discuss saline vs. silicone breast implants in greater detail to ensure you are choosing the option best suited to produce the look and feel you desire. If breast implants are not right for your particular needs, Dr. Gartside can also discuss natural breast augmentation during your initial consultation. With this option, fat harvested from your own body is used instead of implants to improve the size, shape, and contours of your breasts. While results will not be as pronounced as those offered by implants, natural breast augmentation is a wonderful solution for enhancement without artificial devices being inserted into the body.
Gummy Bear Breast Implants
Dr. Gartside is pleased to offer form-stable breast implants from Sientra in addition to traditional saline and silicone options. Also known as gummy bear breast implants, Sientra has made this option exclusively available through board-certified plastic surgeons. Gummy bear implants allow Dr. Gartside to produce final results that are more natural looking and feeling than other options – even those offered by other silicone implants.
- Have a firm but giving feel
- Are shaped to enhance the natural contours of the breasts
- Will not leak, even in the rare event of rupture
- Guard against aesthetic imperfections such as rippling and wrinkling
- May help prevent capsular contracture
Sientra gummy bear implants have the exclusive TRUEtexture® surface which works to prevent tear-dropped implants from rotating once placed. As with the thicker silicone gel filling Sientra implants, this surface technology is designed to ensure long-lasting and pleasing results. These benefits can be discussed in greater detail during your breast augmentation consultation at one of our Northern Virginia locations.
Breast Implant Placement Options
The placement of your breast implants will play a decisive role in the final appearance of your breast augmentation procedure. During your consultation, Dr. Gartside will discuss breast implant placement along with other surgical options, allowing her to customize your procedure to meet your exact aesthetic specifications.
The breast implant placement options offered by Dr. Gartside are:
- Subglandular – below breast tissue, but above the muscles in your chest, this solution is best for women with sufficient breast tissue to cover an implant. Subglandular placement allows for a shorter surgical and recovery period, but may not look or feel as natural as other placement options. Silicone breast implants can reduce some aesthetic imperfections with above the muscle placement, but subglandular implants are more likely to result in sagging. In addition, this placement can reduce surgical and recovery time, but may produce visible imperfections such as rippling, wrinkling, and double bubble in women with insufficient natural breast tissue
- Submuscular – below both breast tissue and the muscles in your chest, this option is best for women who do not have sufficient breast tissue to cover an implant and may be advisable for women who lead an active lifestyle as well. While submuscular placement can increase surgical and recovery time, many women find this option produces a more natural looking and feeling augmentation. Submuscular placement is ideal for both silicone and saline breast implants and greatly reduces the risk of visible imperfections.
At first glance, submuscular placement may seem ideal under all circumstances, but this is certainly not the case. What is ideally suited to meet both your physical needs and aesthetic goals is best determined by Dr. Gartside during your breast augmentation consultation.
Breast Implant Replacement and Revision
Breast implants are considered a prosthetic body part and may eventually need to be removed, replaced or upgraded. Reasons you may wish to consider this options include:
- Capsular contracture
- Wrinkling or rippling
- Implant rotation
- Changes to implant size and shape
- Implant placement
Your breast implant revision options will depend on the complexity of your case and the type of procedure you and Dr. Gartside choose. Depending on the intricacy of the work needed for optimal results, your breast implant revision surgery may be fairly quick. On the other hand, the more complex the problem, the longer the process and recovery may take. Dr. Gartside will discuss this with you in more detail during your revision and replacement consultation.
No matter if you are considering breast augmentation for the first time or looking to have your implants replaced, our board-certified Northern Virginia plastic surgeon has you covered. Please call (888) 730-4113 today to schedule your consultation at our Reston or McLean office and learn how we can help you reach your aesthetic goals.