Reston: 1800 Town Center Dr, Suite 412, Reston VA 20190 | Tyson's Corner: 1300 Chain Bridge Road, McLean VA 22101

Gynecomastia - Male Breast Reduction

Reston, Fairfax, McLean, Virginia - Washington, D.C.

WHAT IS GYNECOMASTIA:

Gynecomastia is the medical term derived from the Greek words for “women-like breasts.” Gynecomastia affects an estimate one third of adult males. Men can be in two general catagories:

  • Older and Overweight Men - where liposuction alone may be all that is needed
  • Young Men

From the younger group of men, generally the problem first developed in their teens. 80% of these men will resolve the problems on their own. For the other 20% of men effected by gynecomastia, it is a combination that is most commonly used. There are many factors or causes that can be contributed to enlarged breasts in males, but it is commonly accepted that the majority of cases are developed from unknown causes. It might affect one or both breasts. The gynecomastia breast reduction procedure includes removal of glandular tissue, fat and skin to reshape and reduce the breasts to give a more masculine contour and appearance.

WHAT TO EXPECT:

During your gynecomastia male breast reduction consultation with Dr. Gartside, you will discuss the condition of your skin, the factor of your age, the shape and size of your breasts and any associated risks and questions you have with your particular case. The breast reduction is generally administered through liposuction, depending on the amount of fat in the breast, and will decrease breast mass in direct proportion of the quantity of fat removed. If you have a high quantity of glandular tissue, Dr. Gartside will discuss the type of breast reduction procedure that is best suited for you. Breast reduction is best suited for males who are physically and emotionally fit.  The best candidates are men who have firm skin with the elasticity to reform to the new contours of the gynecomastia correction.

MALE BREAST REDUCTION PROCEDURE:

During the breast reduction, a local with sedation or general anesthetic is administered. An incision is made around the areola and down the breast. The plastic surgeon will then remove the excess glandular tissue, fat and skin from the breast. Also, liposuction may be done to smooth out the contours of the chest. The combination of excision and liposuction is general the best in most cases. The breast reduction procedure generally lasts 2-4 hours, depending on the volume of fat and glandular tissue being removed.

GYNECOMASTIA SURGERY AFTER CARE:

The type of surgical method used for your gynecomastia correction will most often determine the outcome of the procedure and your results. Results are permanent; however obesity can produce a gynecomastia effect.The recovery time is minimal and it is usually acceptable to return to work within a week depending on the strenuous activities of your job. There may be slight swelling and small scars, but generally the scars will diminish within 6 months with appropriate care. Your breasts should have a more appealing, masculine contour and the discomfort of living with gynecomastia should minimize following the breast reduction procedure.

 

For more information about gynecomastia and male breast reduction surgery contact our Washington, D.C. and Virginia area plastic surgeon to schedule a complimentary consultation!  Serving the metro Washington, D.C. area including Reston, Fairfax, and McLean Virginia.